Experience and capabilities
- Media Access Australia is Australia’s only independent not-for-profit organisation devoted to increasing access to media for people with a disability.
- We are self-funded, thus affording an unbiased approach to the provision of information and services.
- Media Access Australia is a real-world expert for those seeking information about media access.
- We provide functional and up-to-date information on the latest developments in the area of access.
- Media Access Australia provides functional and pragmatic solutions to addressing issues of media access, always ensuring that our recommendations are ‘in touch’ with community and business needs.
- We offer a trusted and balanced view of inclusion through access to media.
- We deliver consumer level information and broad industry guidance.
- Media Access Australia precipitates industry-wide change through influence.
- We work as a catalyst for change across television, video, cinema, the arts, education, digital technology and online media, with a primary focus on people who are blind or vision impaired, or Deaf or hearing impaired.
- We work under the overarching understanding that for the consumer, access to information provides the impetus for social inclusion.
- Media Access Australia works in conjunction with government, industry, education, and consumer organisations as well as individuals.
- For over 30 years, we have worked with a wide set of key partners and audiences with differing priorities and needs to improve media access.
- We have been granted funding primarily from government and industry organisations to create resources for individuals and organisations.
- We seek to improve national and international web accessibility standards as a member of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), an international online community where the general public and organisations work together to develop web standards.
- We are a national organisation, based in Sydney, with a satellite office in Perth.
- Media Access Australia demonstrates how media accessibility can be improved in practical ways, by piloting innovative ideas and major projects.
- Our resources are thoroughly researched and include contributions from leading experts and academics in the area of access.
Top of page