Among its provisions are the following requirements:
- All captioned TV programs will be captioned when delivered over the Internet.
- The top 4 network channels and top 5 cable channels will provide audio description (AD) on 7 hours of programming per week.
- Televised emergency information will be accessible to the blind and vision impaired.
- Receiving devices of any size will be capable of displaying closed captions, delivering AD, and accessing emergency information.
- Controls on televisions and set-top boxes will be accessible, and captions and AD easy to access.
The bill, which has been amended since previously being approved by the House of Representatives, will return to the House for final approval and COAT is optimistic that it will soon be passed.
For more information, see the COAT website.
Top of page